Friday, August 3, 2012

August 3rd South Brown Mountain Shelter

Yet another dilemma. I am in one of those tough water and terrain situations I seem to find myself from time to time. From my starting place this morning it is eight miles to my current location. Here there is water, shade and a cabin/shelter, generally used in winter I believe. The next water source is 13 miles away, through open territory, some of it lava fields. It's well into the 90's here in the trees and looking to be even hotter out in the open. The question is, shall I stay here and only get eight miles today or do I go on and broil in the sun while trying to walk another 13 miles to get to water? A third choice would be to walk another six or seven miles and dry camp in a lava field. Hum. Only one of those choices sounds good to me.

I don't reckon it's hard to figure out which choice I made here today. First I took a nap, then I chatted with other hikers, fixed myself dinner and now I'm back in my hammock, hiding from the mosquitoes. It's supposed to be getting way more buggy from here on out.

Images are of some kind of Lilly (can you see the spider?), the shelter here and me hanging in the hammock. What a life.

2 comments:

  1. I think you made a good choice. Would have been mine for sure! No sense making yourself miserable. Remember, fun fun fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Stacey. You made the right choice. I always choose "fun". Be safe.

    ReplyDelete