Sunday, August 27, 2017

Day 20 - Donner

I really don't like these enforced layover days. I get to thinking about home and the comforts there...family, friends, all manner of loved ones, animal, mineral and other. And my hot tub. I really miss that hot tub and my morning soak with coffee in hand. Kinda makes me wanna go home. But, I'm out for the next couple of weeks and then I'll go home. 

I didn't sleep well here in my dorm room last night. While I am lucky and there are no other inhabitants sharing this room, it's still kinda creepy knowing someone could come in if they had a key and wanted to take a bed in this room. Not my favorite thing. Hopefully I'll remain lucky through tonight. 

I slept in till around 7:30 and leisurely got myself dressed and organized for the day. I am out of coffee, and the restaurant here doesn't open till 11am so I decided to walk the 3+miles to Soda Springs to pick up something to eat. There were clouds to start and I brought my umbrella in case of rain. It did sprinkle but not much. Walking on roads is hard on the feet so I'm glad it wasn't a longer trek. I did see an interesting building with a cool rusty roof. 
I didn't mention it last night but while I was at the restaurant/bar yesterday I saw a guy I had met in Sierra City. Huracane is a Kiwi and a big time, long distance hiker, having already completed the PCT and AT. When he walked in he looked a bit bedraggled and I soon found out why. He had hiked 38 miles yesterday. Almost the entire section I just took 3+ days to complete. He wasn't planning on going that far but then someone told him about the restaurant here and, well he just went for it. He is in his mid 50's so that makes it even more remarkable. 

You can't see it but he is wearing a knee brace this morning. He says he probably over did it yesterday. I guess so. Anyway he is headed south so I won't be seeing him again. Though I'll be able to keep up with his doings as a friend of mine in the Bay Area will be headed down under to hike the TA with him in New Zealand come this November. 

Somehow I need to find a ride to Soda Springs tomorrow morning at 9am to pick up my food resupply, which is packed inside my bear canister. Plus my water treatment drops. I'm hoping for a ride there and back so I don't add 6 miles of road walking to my total miles tomorrow. Once on trail I have to carry enough water to make it 9 miles, which is the first on trail water source. 

Looks like the next section will take 5 or 6 days and the last section 6 or 7. I'll have food for the longest estimate so I can be leisurely if necessary. In one part I'll reach 10,500' but that's for a short part. The Sierra here I come!



No comments:

Post a Comment