Monday, September 23, 2013

Fun in Eugene

I'm having a great time here in Eugene, OR staying with old friends and seeing others. Tonight we'll be celebrating my birthday as well as my friend Aggie's as we both have the same b-day, 9/27, though she's one year older. Anyhow there will be BBQ dogs and burgers, baked beans and potato salad. With birthday ginger cake for desert. Yum!

I hiked on the Ridgeline trail this morning with the goal of submitting Spencer Butte at 2,062'. I did succeed (see above) but once on top the trail going down the other side was not clear. I heard voices coming up to the top and two runners came into view. I asked about the trail they were on (falsely assuming it was the official trail) and they said it was clear. As I dropped over the side I heard a parting comment from him saying,"it's steep!" Little did I know how right he was. Being conservative I'd say that 90% of this path was 45-60% grade and by the time I got down my legs were shaking and I was a sweat soaked pile of nerves. Holy cow! Clearly, I was not on "the official trail". While I didn't manage to hike the whole seven miles I certainly managed a good workout. I'm gonna feel it tomorrow.
This image doesn't do the steepness of the trail justice. No falls, whoopie!

No comments:

Post a Comment