Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Days Later

I’ve been away from home for two days now, having left on Sunday for an adventure in San Francisco. Thanks to generous friends, Angela, Beth and I got to see the musical “The Color Purple.” The acting and singing were top notch but I have to say with my hearing I didn’t always get the lyrics. No matter since I got the gist of it. 

Then it was back to Beth’s house around 7pm where I picked up my van and headed north. I knew I wouldn’t get too far but since I have a sleeping setup in my van I can stop pretty much wherever I feel the need. This time I stopped in Corning, CA (is this where the make the ware?) at a very, very nice roadside rest area. Brand new I’d say and everything was spotless, the auto park area was away from the freeway and the lights weren’t shining inside the van...too badly. 

I left there at 4:30am, having slept 3-4 hours, and continued on north. I stopped just before 6 am at Penny’s Diner in Dunsmuir. 

Fortified I continued on to Weed, CA where I stopped by the airport for another snooze. Good thing I’m not in a hurry. 


I arrived in Ashland, OR way too early to check into my room at Callahan’s Resort but I met my cousin Renie and her friend Diana at the restaurant for lunch. Renie lives in Belize now but lived in this part of the world for decades before moving away for her jungle adventure.  Unfortunately she found out she had breast cancer so she had to return to the US for her double mastectomy surgery. Recovering nicely now she is still full of life and wonder...the same ole Renie, just minus “the girls.”  (BTW, if you want to check out Renie’s blog it can be found at naturejournaling.blogspot.com. She is an incredible artist and observer of nature.)

Today I am going to pick up a few of the last minute things I need before leaving tomorrow morning. Just a few more snacks to get myself through the first 6 day section.  

My friend Aggie will be driving down from Eugene this afternoon for a visit and overnight here at Callahan’s so I want to be done with final prep before she arrives. I’m finally gonna get on the trail again. Seems like forever. 





2 comments:

  1. Looking good! Have fun on the trail. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to know you are coming along for the adventure Maria.

    ReplyDelete