Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Day Two

Hammock bliss. 
I can't ever remember a time in the backcountry where I've been as comfortable as I was last night. I laid down at 7ish, more because of the cold than tiredness, and here I am, twelve hours later. Watching the sun climb over the low ridge behind me and light up the trees, all from the warmth and coziness of my hammock. 
Last night I had grand plans for this morning, which had to do with getting up early and being at Lake Aloha by sunup. The lake is a beautiful spot for photography and I was gonna be there before the birds. But, but, the hammock... I think I'm spoiled for good. 

As it turns out it's a good thing I didn't rush off this morning since Lake Aloha doesn't look anything like it used to look. In this image I am standing on a rock that would have been under water in previous years.
The next is a pano standing on the same rock. 
Finally, can anyone tell me why there is a wall out there with steps that would normally be under water ?
So Lake Aloha isn't as dramatic as I've seen it in the past but it's still pretty. Still and all a nice six mile out and back with some nice fall colors thrown in for good measure. 
I'm back at my base camp now, laying in the hammock trying to decide what to do with the rest of my day. I didn't mention it before but yesterday it appears I pulled a muscle in my right lower leg which was pretty good by this morning, but is acting up after my hike. This seems to preclude any more hiking, at least until the Advil kicks in. 
Having said all of that this is about the time on a trip when I start thinking of walking back to the car early. Especially since I'm not spending my time making miles and being goal directed. Instead I'm just hanging around camp...so I'm starting to feel antsy. Yesterday was fine because I was tired from lack of sleep on previous nights but I'm rested now. What to do? Stay or go? Four miles back to the car...

No comments:

Post a Comment